Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The last two topics that I remember on this blog challenge were Write What You Know and Finishing Something. So I'm going to do these in that order.
It is a bit of a historical presentation, which I would have done, but some time later. Thanks again to Jeff Goins for his nudge. 
What I know and what I love and what really thrills my brain is internet technology [IT]. I don’t know a great deal about Internet Technology. I mean that I have a very good relationship with it.
I am not one of those people who avoided it. I wanted to learn and use Facebook. I wanted a cell phone [and not just for roadside emergencies].
This is all about how I came to know and love Internet Technology and some of the developments that I have seen a long way.
I entered internet technology when it was still called automation.  Automation was the experience of going from everything being manually operated to everything being somehow electrical and much more efficient to use.
The year must have been somewhere around 1963. I was in the 7th grade. I took my first and only typing class. I learned to type on a manual Royal typewriter that had no letters on its keys. There were 12 of those machines in the typing room and the English [Mrs. Queenelle Neal] teacher also taught the typing class. It even had an automatic carriage return key. 
Mrs. Neal owned a Smith Corona electric typewriter which she brought to school with her once in awhile. It had its own carrying case. She wanted us to know what an electric machine was like. So she let us take turns and it was a thrill.
Image result for smith corona electric typewriter
In the seventh grade I broke my typing speed on a heavy, black, metal, manual Underwood typewriter with gold painted letters. I typed 72 words a minute.
I also learned office equipment which included a transcriber, an adding machine, a bookkeeping machine and probably something else that I have forgotten.
My employment rested on my typing ability.
My first full-time job was clerk-typist. I used an IBM Correcting Selectric II. It has a removable ball on it that controls all the fonts [an element]. It was only capable of typing in lines. To make a justified line of type, you had to count the letters in the line, add in enough spaces to equal the margin, and then spread the words out across the line as you type so that you would be sure to make it to the end of the line in a block formation. It was also the end of manual carriage returns. Today, every keyboard in the world has a return key. It kills a typist’s speed to have to reach up and ‘throw’ the carriage.
Then I encountered memory typewriters. The most impressive one was the MAG card. It punches holes in a card as you type and recorded your work. When you got ready to use it again, you just put the magnetic card into a slot and it types for you. You only had to type in the variables like the names and the addresses.
So after I learned the MAG card and was able to use it with ease, I became a word processor. As a matter of fact, I became a legal word processor. I was a fast, accurate typist with a good vocabulary. From this point forward, I became a Word Processor. A Word Processor is the person who operates the dedicated word processing computer. The only function it had was document preparation. There was a word processor called Display Writer [IBM] which used several different 8-inch disks. There was one for input, one for edits, one for printing. I seem to even recall that there was a start-up disk.
Lawyers process a great deal of documents in a day or night’s time. In many larger firms, there were several floors. Once in Los Angeles, I temped at a law firm that had 24/7 word processors.
This was a really fun position.
So there was a room which held approximately 15 people and desks with their word processors. It was the 1980’s version of the typing pool.  We had impact printers. They were so loud they had their own room. Imagine the palpable joy we felt when the firm bought laser printers. No noise!
I left word processing for a time. When I returned technology, many great strides had been taken.  For example a laser color printer could be had for well under $500.
When I was in word processing, we had one color printer in the firm. It was locked away in a high-ranking secretary’s office. But in the late 1990’s, every home had its own DeskJet printer with no need for locks and anyone could use them any time.
My first official position was clerk-stenographer. This person listens to and transcribes information that has been recorded on cassette tapes. They were regular cassettes, mini, or micro. It was just one of those amazing but legal functions I’ve performed for pay.
Google Voice Typing
Today I can talk and my words will be presented directly onto the screen in front of me. What's not to love!?
It is a very, very exciting moment.
Another fond memory in automation was floppy disks. They ranged in size from 5¼ inch to 3½–inch microfloppy diskettes. Then we went to thumb drives and now we're in the Cloud. It is fabulous.
As to cell phones:
I have gone from a $9.99 flip with a camera to a Blackberry, with internet access. The next phone had a slide opening. Later, I had my sister’s used iPhone 4. After being mistakenly informed that it had no front camera, I put it aside. In its place, came a BLU Studio 610A. I dropped it in the parking lot. It scattered in three different directions and shattered the screen. Not one for spending high prices for phones, I went shopping. Within 30 days, I moved from Net 10 to StraighTalk to Metro PCS to Boost and finally came to rest with Verizon. I have used most of the major carriers.
Today, I am happy to report that I am the owner of a Samsung Galaxy S5 [16 megapixel camera]. I bought it slightly used but in great condition. I can now update my website and upload photos with full authority. Internet Technology—once you know, you gotta love it!
SandraTeresa Davenport | The Health Reverend
LiveWellToday/DrinkTeaAlways!
Just a Little Left. Enjoy!


Note: Finishing Something  soon to follow. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Rev on Medium

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Subscribe For Newsletters

* indicates required

Popular Posts

Image Gallery